Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Man is Back!

He's baaaaak.... back from Law School jail and Bar Review prison, I've got the man I married 30 years ago metamorphosed; transitioned into a real human being who laughs and jokes and cooks (and cleans). Bless his heart; I went to work yesterday and he folded laundry (after three years of me doing it) and made dinner to boot. He also scrubbed the toilet in Laura's bathroom (whoa!) and managed to read half of a book, get a massage, buy gourmet olive oil, and listen to me rant and rave (really listen). All this, just a day after finishing the Washington State Bar Exam.

This Law School stuff is insane. As I commented a couple of days ago from the fog of Dom Perignon celebratory bliss, Law School is not for the meek of heart and is way harder than Medical School. I also think that the turds who organize and write the questions for the Bar Exam and those who run the review courses are sadistic trolls. We don't do this shit in Medicine, I promise. We're "collegial folk" who have a heart, god damn it! Check out the review books the size of phone books provided by BarBri and all the extraneous but important paper that he had to get through. I took a picture of his review course schedule/assignments that started the day after graduation and went through the start of this week; five and a half weeks of you know what....as you can see, they didn't get a single day off, not even July 4! How lame can can you get? Anyway, enough of the rant and on to the rave.

D cooked dinner last night for Laura and me. Although he's prepared more than a few meals along the way these last years, they've been peppered with "oh, I gotta go now....gotta do this, gotta do that" such that we could never just sit and revel in the moments. D has so much newly found time on his hands as of yesterday that he's almost a bit nervous. That he asks Chris about what computer game(s) he should buy or whether he should invest in an X-Box (oy) and ponders all sorts of projects gives me a clue as to just how much his life and daily pleasures have been ON HOLD for the last 3 years. Like I said, Law School sucks. I've lived it as the significant other watching from the sidelines and it ain't fun. Ain't fun at all.

I'm so relieved (as is he) to have this bumpy ride placed in its rightful place; on the shelf of memories, still acute but without the bite. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!